Bodegas Piqueras | DO Almansa
18089
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-18089,cookies-not-set,woocommerce-no-js,ajax_updown_fade,page_not_loaded,,columns-4,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-13.0,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.4,vc_responsive
 

DO Almansa

Terroir

Bodegas Piqueras is within the geographic area encompassed by D.O. Almansa, a high plain in the southeast of the province of Albacete, in the region of Castilla-La Mancha (Spain).

 

The wine-producing area D.O. Almansa borders the Murcia region and also the provinces of Alicante and Valencia, through what is known as the Almansa corridor. It consists of 8 municipalities (Almansa, Alpera, Bonete, Corral-Rubio, Higueruela, Hoya-Gonzalo, Pétrola and the borough of Villar de Chinchilla) with the town of Almansa standing at the heart of the D.O.
WINEGROWERS
750
WINERIES
12
MUNICIPALITIES
8
ACREAGE
7118
This land is very rich in limestone and poor in fertile soil, with alternating areas of stony, thin soil alongside others that are sandier and deeper. Most of the vineyards are on flatter ground, though vineyards can be seen on some of the neighbouring hillsides.
D.O. Almansa, which gained the status of Denominación de Origen (Spain’s regulatory classification system) in 1964, has more than 17,000 acres under vine, at an average altitude of between 2,300 and 2,850 feet. The limestone soils of the area benefit from the carbonates that lie under the fertile topsoil. And the vines are generally planted on flat land characterized by good drainage, limestone soil and a scarcity of nutrients, ideal conditions for the production of quality wine grapes.
D.O. Almansa currently includes 12 of the region’s wineries, with 20% of the wine being sold domestically in Spain while the remaining 80% is exported to over 25 countries.

Climate

The climate in the D.O. Almansa wine region, which stands at an altitude of between 2,300 and 2,850 feet, is both Mediterranean and continental. Temperatures that vary from a maximum of 38ºC in summer to minus 6ºC in winter.
There is scant rainfall in the area, with an annual average of under 12 inches of rain. This low rainfall, along with the fast-draining soil and low production, produces wines of intense colour and aroma.
The semi-arid continental climate of the D.O. Almansa wine region, along with the low fertility of the soil, facilitates a close control of grape production levels, enhancing the high colour concentration, high tannins and aromatic richness of our red wines. The altitude above sea level means that, at the crucial ripening period, the contrast between daytime and night temperature is very high.

 

In short, the climate is ideal for the production of high quality wines.